Nisimos Plateau is the second largest (after Limnakaro) of the small Plateaus of our Municipality. It extends at altitudes of 930 m in the SW foothills of the Selena hill (1,588 m). It has an irregular elliptical shape and its surface is smooth and only to the north and the east there are small rocky outcrops.
It used to be cultivated with cereals and animal feed (pea ravi). Today, it is uncultivated and covered by burnets and wild phrygana. Only a few pear trees are kept alive.
Nisimos plateau, although surrounded by mountains, does not flood because there are sinks in various places that remove rainwater.
It has two springs: one near its southern entrance in Astividero and the other one in “Zaroma”. Both are used for the herds of the area.
The name of the Plateau has been known since the Venetian years; it was mentioned by Basilicata (1630) and Raulin (1845).
There are several theories about the origin of the name, the most prevalent being the one supported by the late Stergios Spanakis. That is, “Nisimos” comes from Onisimos, the student of the Apostle Paul, after whom there was a temple in the area that gave the name to the small Plateau.
Today there are two chapels on Nisimos Plateau. That of the Holy Cross located at the top of the hill that closes the small plateau on the south side, and that of Agia Ariadne, erected by the dentist Emm. N. Spanakis, on the west side near the spring Astividero.
Something similar happened with the place name Anisimos, corruption of Onisimos, which is located near the monastery Epanosifi and where by chance was found buried in the bushes a temple that was probably dedicated to Agios Onisimos, after whom the area was named.